Here at Terra & Ember, we aim to provide you with a cohesive and wholesome wheel throwing experience. Suitable for beginners, this 2 hours session (approx.) will introduce you to the tactility of pottery clay and how to mold and transform it into a unique vessel. You will first be taught about the basic foundational steps to throwing and subsequently, after you are more familiar with the clay, you will be given interesting tips and techniques on how to achieve your desired shape. Rest assured, our experiential classes are small and hence, you will be closely guided by our dedicated and patient instructor. The last segment of the class would be a free and easy time for you to decorate your 2 pots with our selection of wood and ceramic stamps and create interesting patterns and textures. You will also be given the choice (additional charges apply) to glaze your 2 pots with our wide range of colours, which will be done for you by our studio instructors after the class.
Finished pots will only be ready for self-collection after 8 weeks from date of workshop. Delivery/shipping of finished pots are NOT included in the workshop price.
Workshop Details / Note:
- Minimum age to participate is 12 years of age.
- 2 complimentary bisque-fired (unglazed) pots are included.
- Aprons will be provided to minimize clay splatters, however, do wear clothes that you are comfortable getting a bit dirty in.
- Please ensure your nails are short as long nails may hinder your movements and cut into your clay pieces.
- Workshop will be held in a comfortable, air-conditioned studio.
- Do take note that if you are more than 5 minutes late for the class, you will miss the demonstration provided by the instructor at the start. The demonstration will not be repeated again for late-comers.
Workshop Optional Add-Ons:
- Additional pots are $8 per piece.
- Application of clear gloss glaze/coloured glaze are $10 per piece.
Health & Safety Measures:
- All participants and studio staff are required to wear a mask at all times.
- No food or drinks are allowed to be brought into the studio.
Location: 475 Geylang Road Singapore 389434 (Located along the main Geylang road, unit 475 is a temple shophouse. We are situated on the 2nd floor of the shophouse. Upon arrival at unit 475's main door, enter the temple and head up the staircase on the left.)
- Workshop Passes will be sent digitally via SMS, email or both based on the email address/phone number specified within 1 business day due to order verification.
Terms & Conditions:
- Advanced booking is required. Min. 3 days booking in advance.
- For reservations, please email email@example.com for reservations.
- Workshop Passes are valid for 6 months from the date of purchase. An extension is not allowed.
- This Workshop Pass is not exchangeable for any value in cash.
- This Workshop Pass may be used once only and any unutilized balance will not be credited or refunded.
- During the redemption of goods or services, if the value of the goods or services exceeds the amount stated in Workshop Pass, the difference thereof should be paid by the bearer.
- It is the studio's discretion to postpone or cancel workshops should unforeseen circumstances or events occur beyond the studio's control. Workshops with only 1 pax booked will be cancelled and the participant be given the choice to select a new workshop date or get a full refund.
- Student swapping will be allowed should the original participant be unable to attend the class and the studio must be informed beforehand.
- No-shows for booked classes are considered as attended and booking cannot be refunded/rescheduled/postponed.
- Postponement of booked classes are only allowed if the participant tests positive, either through ART or PCR (proof of results required), or participant is a close contact of a known Covid Positive (proof of HRN or notice). Postponement will be done only for the affected participant and rescheduled class will only be held on either a Weds/Thurs. If participant is feeling unwell but tests negative, MOH advises such individuals to visit a doctor for their professional assessment and next appropriate steps. In such scenarios, we will require an official Medical Certificate from a licensed practitioner in order for us to postpone the booked class. Please use this link if you are unsure of the government advisories: https://www.covid.gov.sg/not-sure
- Cracking and chipping may appear on your final pieces as all your pieces are made by hand on the wheel.
- Plates are not recommended our workshops as they are considered a higher-level piece and have a higher tendency to crack during firing. All risks are to be borne by you should you choose to make them.
- Addition of handles/decorative features to your pieces are allowed but do note that as they are not part of the main clay body, there is a chance they will drop off/crack/chip during the firing. All risks are to be borne by you should you choose to add them.
- Glazing is an optional component of our workshops so by opting for the glazing, you are to be informed that your chosen glaze may not appear exactly as seen on the tile test. Glaze chemistry is an intricate and complex part of pottery that is subjected to a variety of conditions beyond our control sometimes. The glaze colour/texture may not be a constant and can produce some minor defects and flaws after firing. All risks are to be borne by you should you choose to glaze your pieces.
- All pots will shrink in size (height,width) by up to 30% after the firing process.
- The studio is not obligated to give you a refund/replacement piece for unsatisfactory results as you have agreed to all disclaimers above. We will evaluate each case individually.
- It would take up to 8 weeks for us to process your pots and pack them up. Please do not chase us for them as we will contact you once they are ready for pick up. Once you have received our official collection email, self-collection is strictly only available on Sundays from 9.30am to 1pm or 2.30pm to 6pm.
- Workshop location: 475 Geylang Road Singapore 389434 (Located along the main Geylang road, unit 475 is a temple shophouse. We are situated on the 2nd floor of the shophouse. Upon arrival at unit 475's main door, enter the temple and head up the staircase on the left.)
- The management reserves the right to change the terms & conditions at any time without any given notice.
About Terra & Ember:
Situated along the road of Geylang Road, Singapore, Terra & Ember is a home-based studio that focuses on the creation of ceramic art who produce their own brand of ceramic works and conduct pottery courses and workshops. They are avid plant lovers and get their inspiration mainly from nature!